Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Roast Duck Inn

Readers, I need to be better able to juggle my time. I need to get back into the blogging swing of things. So without further ado, here is my post about one of my favourite locals. 

Funnily enough, I have a colleague who has moved out to the eastern suburbs. Knowing that I enjoy my food, she asked me for a few recommendations in the eastern suburbs that I can recommend for her and her family. Some places sprung to mind quicker than others, and Roast Duck Inn is one of them.

Sometimes, it's nice to have a trusty local place that you can either ring up and order take away, or if you want to get away from home you can also eat in with plentiful parking. I think I found my place. My place is Roast Duck Inn. This place is getting some serious press attention, earlier in the year they were featured in The Age (the daily newspaper here in Melbourne), and  as I walked past it today they were featured in the paper again as one of "Top 25 places to eat and drink in Zone 2". For those not familiar with Melbournian speak, our public transport system is divided into two zones. Zone 1 is made up of having the Melbourne CBD in the centre, and all suburbs within an approximately 10km radius. Zone 2 essentially refers to suburbs that are located outside the Zone 1 radius, 

Now, when you dine in at Roast Duck Inn, like any good Cantonese restaurant, they bring you complimentary soup and tea as soon as you sit down. Now, on his cold night that Husband and I decided to dine in, we slurped this soup up pretty quickly and I forgot to take a photo of it. The soup here is pretty good, it's generally made with vegetables and bones from the numerous roast ducks that they sell through the day. It's so good, that Husband generally asks for another soup (very cheeky!). 

I do have to warn you, Husband had a miserable day at work so he tucked into the food before I could rearrange serving utensils to take decent photos. I had to quickly point and shoot, before he growled at me like the angry tiger he was that night.

What should one order when they go to Roast Duck Inn? Roast duck of course!


Roast duck, roast pork and crispy pork combination $25.

This dish really does tick all the boxes. For the duck it had crispy skin and good flavour to the meat as well. The roast pork had a beautiful glaze to it and the meat wasn't dry. The crispy pork crackling was crunchy and there was good marbling of fat and meat. Yum. 


Special fried rice $10.

To balance out the caloric and meaty nature of our above dish, we decided to have it with something else other than plain steamed rice. Does that mean we order vegetables? Don't be silly, why would I pay $10+ for some steamed/boiled vegetables that I can make at home for under $3? I decided to order their Special Fried Rice. For those who can not read Chinese, their special fried rice is essentially Yeung Chow Fried Rice. They kept it pretty authentic with prawns, bbq pork, egg and spring onions; but I would have liked to have seen some peas in it to add some sweetness and colour to the dish. The fried rice was still good though, good balance of soya sauce in the dish.

For those who live in the area, this is a must try. Good food, efficient service, and reasonably priced. Go on, what's stopping you? If you are bringing your whole family along be sure to book ahead as it is a fairly small restaurant. Bring cash with you as well, as they are a cash only establishment. 

Roast Duck Inn on Urbanspoon





No comments:

Post a Comment